A blog dedicated to the fact you cannot make an NHLer,

Obviously you see the sarcasm in my blog name. This blog is about teaching the love of the game, the skills of the game and hopefully open some eyes to the crazy parents that think they can push their kid into becoming a star only to have the opposite happen or be the limiting factor in their kids hockey development. Remember, if you turn hockey from a game into a job, then all is lost and kids will drop out either physically or mentally.




Saturday, May 29, 2010

Avatar = Hockey Inspiration???

I just finished watching Avatar. Amazing movie.
Made me wanna go play hockey, how about you???

OK, maybe I am reaching a bit, but hear me out!!!!!

Here is what I thought as I watched the movie.

"Written and Directed by James Cameron"
My wife says after the movie and this is displayed on the screen "He wrote it too? That guy is one amazing Canadian."

Darn right he is. Is it more amazing that he did it and he is from Canada? Nah, that just a bit of patriotism coming out. I have not read anything about his inspiration for the movie, but none the less he is a normal guy just like the rest of us at the root. What makes him different? Follow through - he sees how he wants things and then does not give up until they are as he sees them. Sounds like an athlete to me. Why him and not me, you may ask yourself? Why Sidney Crosby and not me in the NHL? Same reason it is James Cameron's Avatar and not "insert name here's" Avatar. Dream big, and Go for it. You might fail, but if it is your dream, failing is way better than "What if? Wish I would have!" and dreams are what happiness are made of, so trying to achieve happiness is better than doing nothing.

Heck ,when I put it that way, kinda makes it sound like everyone should be following there dreams and constantly coming up with new ones. Why not?


The Storyline:

The main character is a washed up marine, who gets to go on this journey because he has a twin brother. He cannot walk due to a war injury and we see him thought of as less because of it in the movie. When he is in his Avatar, he is strong and powerful and inspires others.

Kinda like a hockey player? You bet, when a kid gets on the ice, it is a chance to re-invent themselves, get away from all their worries and inspire others. Do 8 year-olds inspire others??? Of course they do, who do you think team mates and and 6 year old hockey players look up to? What about adults who watch them and think "Wow, Billy sure plays like it is the greatest day to be alive. Maybe I could take a page from that book and use it in my life."

Do not, I repeat, do not go tell Billy he needs to inspire others and a civilization depends on him!!!!

Kids don't need pressure, they need someone to believe in them. That's where we come in as coaches and parents. Support there dreams and do your best to help them. Do not decide what their dreams should be, or you will be on a different page as them most of the time and it will be even harder for them to accomplish their dreams.

Moral of this post:
As a coach and parent we need to allow our kids, and ourselves to dream big.

No comments:

Post a Comment